Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7

Today was the first day of the Maine Municipal Association’s Annual Convention (the 73rd!), a two day affair at the Civic Center in Augusta. It consists mostly of workshops run concurrently covering a range of subjects that concern city and town governments and administrators: planning for pandemic flu, economic development tools, community-wide internet, “a road runs through it” – some forty in all from which to pick and choose. Educational, challenging and interesting, I look forward to the second day.

But what remains with me most vividly from day one is the keynote luncheon, which took place in a large room filled with maybe thirty-five tables for eight, hosted by the President of the MMA . It was not the food, which was fairly nondescript but tasty, nor even the keynote speaker – Thomas Jefferson, wonderfully portrayed by actor Patrick Lee, passing on his views on government as well as some sound and familiar advice in the form of “a decalogue of canons for observation in practical life.” No, what remains with me tonight is my total surprise and discomfort at the opening when, after being asked to rise for the “presentation of the colors” by the Maine Fire Chief’s Association in full regalia, we were invited to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. As two hundred and seventy-nine people clapped their right hands over their hearts and recited in unison, I stood there silent, unmoving but very moved. The first and most powerful emotion was total surprise, followed hard upon by an almost uncontrollable urge to giggle; and then, as the collected voices rumbled towards the affirmation of a potent and allied divinity, a calm conviction that remaining still and silent was the correct choice.

In that brief time, I had a moment to reflect on why I was so surprised, having been in the State Department for ten years and being now an elected local official, and could only conclude that maybe I was still a foreigner in my native land, and perhaps will forever remain so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

David - first thank you for starting up this blog. I don't read or follow many (any actually) but have seen your posts the past week or so and plan to keep reading.

I like your reflection on the awkward moment. I've been there at school events mostly. Church also. I always find myself overthinking and wondering if i should remove the hat, hand the heart, recite the words. Considering the meaning and purpose. I am a proud and engaged citizen in many ways, but i share the reticence in that moment you describe.

Good that you are taking part in governance. And great that you are writing.

Mandoline said...

hi there, love reading these.
since I'm in the future, I get to read yesterday's as if it was today's..

For this one, I almost laughed out lous imagining you in the situation. The last paragraph ended abruptly for me, I wished there was more, wondering more specifically which part of what the silence was about. I guess it's like a good book you don't want to put down...
bisou

Unknown said...

We never had to say "under God" in elementary school and I still won't. What a funny idea: like being "under an umbrella" or "under a maple tree".